Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Five Years

Five years ago, when I was eight months pregnant with my third child, I decided to write a novel.

My first book took me more than a year to write.  When I finished, I thought it was AWESOME.

It wasn't.

Now, five years later, I've written five finished novels. Two of them are pretty darn good.  Two are passable--meaning I could probably let friends and family read them without dying of embarrassment.  And one, the one I wrote first, is really, really awful.

I don't regret writing any of them.  Each one taught me something about my voice and how I build worlds and create characters.  The hours I put into writing crap made me a better writer.

Have you finished a book? Five? Ten? What have you learned as you've transitioned from a clueless new writer to a less clueless older writer?


9 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

I totally agree! None of the time we spend writing could ever be a waste. I've learned a ton in the past few years too. I think I'm on novel 4, although one was written as a total lark during nano and will never see the light of day :)

Stephanie Thornton said...

I agree! I've got one abandoned novel, two finished, and another one in the works. They've all taught me something different, and they've all been hard (but wonderful) work!

Wen Baragrey said...

Me too! Three abandoned for one reason or another, but completed. One querying, and one finishing. It feels like more though!

Trisha Leaver said...

Well . . . you read my first manuscript, so as you know it, was pretty bad. I have six finished right now, three that I am happy with.

I keep all my old manuscripts, even the ones that are unfinished. Every once in awhile I go back and read them. It is a good reminder of how far I have come.

AOlson said...

Keep up the hard work! Hope you had a wonderful time at the concert.

AOlson said...

I mean conference. I better go to bed.

Jaime Wright said...

Hmmmm ... I've written three. One of which I think is worth a read :), the other one is passable, the third is ... definitely not! :) LOL

Joanne Fritz said...

Good for you, Natalie, for writing five novels in five years. That's quite an accomplishment. I've got two partials, and two finished novels -- none of which are as good as they should be -- plus lots of picture books, some of which might have a chance. I love learning more about the craft with every piece I write.

VR Barkowski said...

Spectacular, Natalie! Off to pre-order...