Sunday, August 26, 2012

Social Networks: Which Ones Do You Need?


Thank you all so much for the kind words, congratulations, pre-orders, and especially for spreading the word about The Secret Underground! I'm so excited about this book.  It's a story I really love, and I hope others will enjoy it too.  Plus, I'm hopeful its sales will help out Jayden's family.

It's will be available on NetGalley for the next month.  If you'd like to review a copy please check it out!


For the past 3 years I've tried to keep my social networking simple.  I blogged (occasionally), I tweeted, and that's all I did. Even those two things felt like too much sometimes. It wasn't hard to resist the urge to join Facebook, Goodreads, Pinterest, Tumblr, LinkedIn or any of the other cool new networks.

I thought I was doing just fine with what I had.

Then I had a book coming out.

When I told some of my published author friends about The Secret Underground, their very first advice was, "You need to get on Facebook and Goodreads."

They explained that, while I've been able to make writer friends through blogging and Twitter, READERS don't hang out (much) in either of those places.  When I tried to explain that I doubt my target audience (9- to 13-year-olds) hangs out on any social network, my friends countered that while most kids don't have Facebook or Goodreads accounts, their parents, teachers, and librarians do.

I have smart friends.

So, convinced it was something I had to do, I opened Facebook and Goodreads accounts last week.  Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.  It's probably not a great idea to start something new right before a book comes out.  It's tough to learn how the networks function while also trying to make friends. I have a feeling neither will be very respectable for months (or even years) yet.

The moral of this story:  START NOW.  Most networks don't take that much time and you'll be grateful to have friendships established when you have a book to sell someday.

How many social networks do you use?  Which ones do you get the most out of? Which ones are a waste of time?  (Please tell me!  I need to know.)


P.S.  If you friend me on Facebook or Goodreads, or add The Secret Underground to your Goodreads bookshelf,  I'll love you forever!






6 comments:

Jen said...

I am a reader I LOVE books!!

I also blog, FB (just liked you on there :) and had to smile at what Karen Hooper said ;))and do the Pinterest thing :)

I have an account with goodreads only to record what I read I have a goal to read 100 books this year. I am a fan of yours (now) and Karens :)

Natalie said...

Thanks so much, Jen!

HUGS!

Julie Musil said...

I don't have an author page on Facebook, and I'm not a part of Goodreads. Yet! But you're right, it's definitely something I should do now vs. later :/

Wen Baragrey said...

Now I'll have to go find you all those places too. Not that I'm a stalker or anything. Obvs.

Come At Me Bro said...

This is great!

Terri Tiffany said...

Found you!